Skip to main content

The Best and Worst of 2022


Oh what a year! 

The bests far outshine the worsts. 

This year I set myself the goal of being more adventurous, applying to and participating in shows further away. Shows that I would need to stay overnight to do. After a few not so great hotel experiences I discovered the joy of booking an air b and b over a hotel and from here on out it will be the only way for me. 

What I have also found being out at more shows this year is that you get more of an experience of humanity, the good and unfortunately also the not so good. There were some doozies, so I will get them out of the way. 

I witnessed a man allow his dog to poop in my booth, at an indoor show and then walk away and leave it there.

A father told his toddler son to push the button on one of the legs of my tent to "see what would happen." I politely asked the kid not to do that as it would collapse the side of my tent and the buttons tend to be pinchy so I didn't want the kid to be hurt. The dad told the kid I was very grumpy and they should leave.

A grown woman stuck her tongue out at me and told me my bags were "way overpriced and not that good."

People who are not shopping at my tent stand in front of it, blocking it and having extensive conversations even though there are wide open spaces on either side.

A mother with a small kid who was eating a very messy, gooey and melty chocolate chip cookie on an especially hot day and had food all over their face and hands. The kid was touching stuff and I politely asked them to please not touch everything with chocolate on their hands. The mother got very upset and left my tent shouting about how awful fabrikate was, how I don't want people to touch things and she wouldn't be or should anyone else buy things from me.

People with beverages, pointing at things with the uncovered beverage hand. People touching bags with their feet to point at them.

I watched a woman pick her nose in front of my table and then go around touching things.

I watched a woman open a tube of moisturizer, rub it on her face and hands and then go around touching things, still rubbing it in.

Open mouth coughing. So much open mouthed coughing.

Rain and wind. My arch nemeses.

Now onto the bests of the year.

A woman in overalls at a show I did in Peoria earlier this year, with a dog snuggled and sleeping in the front of them. If I'm remembering correctly the dog's name was Lucky. So so many dogs. Peoria Heights was a parade of dogs, more than I can count. I also had a burrito after that show that I am still dreaming of.

The dogs! I'm totally making a sign for this coming outdoor market season that says "Fabrik8 ❤️s K9s! Free treats!"

The people you meet under your tent, their often times amazing stories and the dogs attached to them that you get to pet, that climb up on you and nonjudgmentally lick your face. The generosity of people you've never met who let you share their dogs for a moment, attempt to get their dog to sit and allow you to take a photo for your social media because you are literally obsessed with dogs and your kid that's at home is missing out on all the dog introductions. The shared canine joy. Bliss. 

A teacher once criticized my daughter for her essay on dogs being her heroes. I could not disagree more with that teacher utterly missing the point so completely. These beings repeatedly prove to me that they can bring random humans together for a moment, share joy and a positive exchange. In this often times scary and completely fucked up world what could be more heroesque. Fuck that closed minded teacher and her limited world view.   

The life stories you hear, the details of lives that are generously shared. The laughter, the bliss with fellow artists, often to the point of stomach aching laughs and teary eyes. The support of fellow artists, the friendships, the mutual excitement over each other's work. The trades!!!

The set up and tear down, each day bringing something entirely new and unexpected. This year my son started helping me clean up at the Urbana Market and a few times he even traveled with me to overnight shows. We got our system so well tuned that he was nicknamed the cleaner by another artist. Traveling with him and watching bad HGTV with him at our Air B and B's, too tired to go out for dinner and ordering takeout and laughing till it hurts. So many good memories.

There were some marvelous one liners this year from shoppers.

One shopper picked up one of my corn zipper pouches and exclaimed "Aw shucks!!"

Another older lady, shopping with I think her granddaughter exclaimed "that's a cool ass wallet!!" I literally want this printed on the back of my fabrikate shirts.

Two older ladies, shopping together and trying on my phone bags, excited about their size and being so lightweight, only for the essentials. The one said to the other, as she was twirling around, "I mean, couldn't you just dance with this on a Friday night??!"

Olivia with an O and Maggie with an IE. Sisters I met at the Sugarcreek arts festival. Their mom bought a Schitts Creek bag and Olivia got a uterus tote. These gals were rays of sparkling sunshine. Maggie was genuinely so excited about everything in my tent. She was squealing over the coffee beans fabric and even brought her sister back to meet me. We were talking about our love of dogs and her need to run to them across home Depot when she worked there.


PRIDE. The shoppers, dogs, people, all of it. Best day of the year, similar to NY marathon day which was always my favorite when we lived there. One guy wearing a fabrikate sling bag shouted out "fabrikate!" as he passed and waved at me, my whole family there to witness it. My daughter wore her awesome rainbow skates and skated around my tent and the street most of the day. Truly the best day.

A while back I had re-made an intricate mind puzzle of a customer's favorite bag. It took about 4 prototypes to get all the details right. I shipped it off to her in another state and she was thrilled. It was by far one of the most challenging projects I've undertaken. She surprised me and showed up at the Craft League show this year, wearing the bag and it STILL LOOKED GREAT. It was so amazing to meet her in person. I may have teared up a little.

Late in the year I received a video from an artist friend who had secretly bought a sling bag her friend was eyeing at the Artists of the Corn Show but didn't want to splurge on for herself. I had requested she send me a picture of her friend opening it so I could see her surprise. She came through in a big way and it was the best thing ever to see her open it, so excited, practically crying. It's the absolute best part of my job when shoppers share people being surprised by gifts or just smiling and letting me snap a photo in my tent after they buy a bag. 

When bags come back to visit is also equally awesome. I live for it, almost as much as I live for print matching.

At the last show of my year, the Mistletoe Market I got to witness my beloved Frayn Replinger, my self proclaimed "on site social ambassador" meet and chat like old friends with my dear friend, quirky artist and genius of the written word Marc-Anthony Macon. Along comes a relatively new customer who I got to make fanciful poinsettia and holly dog collars for. The three of them got to talking and laughing in front of my booth as if they had known each other their entire lives. I may have snapped a few photos like a total stalker. It was just too good.


The phrase "I came to the market just to see you!" It FILLS ME UP and I'm so lucky, I have heard it a lot this year.

Closing out this year exhausted but just so thrilled. What a wonderful year. I have all kinds of new ideas I'm already trying out and counting the days until I get to set up my tent again and schlep all those weights to hold it down. I am researching and dreaming of further away shows to apply for. I can't wait to see you all again and am looking forward to all the new people and dogs I will meet, the custom orders people will request. 

Happy Holidays! I wish you all the best and see you soon!!





Comments